There are unlimited opportunities to start a fiber optic network business with the advancement in technology. The optical fiber is a glass tube as thin as a hair, and it allows data to be transmitted by means of a light signal, injected at the speed of light, which allows an extremely high flow. Incorporating this technology might actually provide access to high-speed internet by 2022 for individuals, businesses, and administrations across the entire setup.
Here is everything you need to know to start a fiber optic business, such as a self-employed subcontractor.
The Deployment of Optical Fiber
Private operators are responsible for deploying the fiber-optic network. They subcontract their installation work to large companies, which subcontract worksites to small companies or self-employed people. Several thousand small businesses have thus been created to participate in the effort. It should be noted that the conditions imposed on final subcontractors are sometimes difficult such as workload, hours, travel, etc.
Become an Independent Fiber Optic Installer
Installation technicians in communication networks who are concerned with the fiber optic installer should know:
- Unwind and pull the cables for horizontal and vertical deployment (on the ground, underground, or at height) up to the connection to the subscriber
- Control and test the installations
- Intervene in repair
- Respect the safety rules on construction sites, if they are open on the public highway and if they are done at night
- Respect the installation plans, specifications, and instructions from the clients
The profession requires rigor and adaptation. It also requires a lot of travel. Some fiber optic installation teams are itinerant, generating significant transport and accommodation costs.
Training To Set Up a Subcontractor Fiber Optic Network
The profession of cable network installer requires a professional qualification. The subcontractor needs to have certain qualifications for establishing a business for setting up an optic fiber network. Professional journeyman certificate in electrical equipment installer, supplemented by fiber optic training modules. Without a diploma or training, a professional experience of at least three years will be necessary to create a fiber optic installation company.
Creating a Fiber Optic Laying Company
- Obligation to obtain authorizations to operate works machinery and lifting devices
- Obligation to take out ten-year insurance
- Compliance with safety and waste management standards. In addition, in the event of hiring, a single professional risk assessment document will have to be drawn up
Investment for Installation of a Cable Network
A fiber optic entrepreneur or self-employed person will have to plan for a certain number of investments and expenses to be able to exercise:
- Purchase of an equipped van
- Purchase equipment: reflectometer, welder, laser, traffic detection clamp, fiber optic gas sensors, etc.
- The stock of small supplies, work equipment, and clothing
- Working capital requirement and cash flow buffer
Becoming a Subcontractor Fiber Optic Installer
Validate your project by a market study approach to the sub-contractors of the operators to know the needs in your sector and consult the calls for tenders.
- Write a business plan
- Look for funding
- Complete the installation preparation course at the Chamber of Trades
- Choose your legal status and register with the Chamber of Trades
- Buy the equipment and vehicle necessary for your activity
- Sign your subcontracts and get started
Establishing a fiber-optic network is not an easy task, but it gets less challenging to establish a networking business with appropriate research work and talent.